Sunday, January 9, 2011

Bregger reader response to Popol Vuh

I found the Popol Vuh: the dawn of life to be a fascinating story in which I saw one main connection to something I have prior experience with.  The first thing that I immediately compared this story to was the Bible.  We talked about a few of these comparisons in class, and I found the stories to be similar in a lot of ways.  They both seem to convey fairly similar messages about being a good person, not being greedy or boasting about your greatness.  I see a lot of similarities in the messages that are trying to be conveyed by both texts. How they go about teaching similar lessons turns out to be the most interesting part of this story.  Growing up in a Cristian household and being subject to the teachings of the Bible I am very familiar with the stories in this book, and a lot of the teachings that the Bible is supposed to convey.  Personally I feel that the Popol Vuh does a much more efficient job of conveying a very similar message to the reader.  Also, I think it is worth noting that, to me, the Popol Vuh also is much more interesting than hearing about stories of Jesus.  I think this is worth noting mostly because of the fact that these stories are meant to form morals for a young person so that they can live their entire life with this set of morals or codes.  Now, if this is the case then it would seem to me that the Popol Vuh would be a much more efficient means of communicating to children what you want communicated simply because they will find it much more entertaining than they would the Bible, which at times presents itself as unrealistic, when it in fact uses living people as its characters.  The similarities that I see between the Bible and the Popol Vuh are not the only similarities that this text has to other religious writings, however I do not know enough about other religious writings to compare them in an intelligent manner, so I will not.  I also found the Popol Vuh to be fascinating in the way that the God's were very flawed in things that they did.  They also admitted to these faults, which seems to be a very human characteristic.  This I would say reminded me most of my readings of Roman Mythology where the gods all where very flawed.  I think this is a much more interesting and realistic way to present gods to readers because they appeal more with their human qualities of imperfection.  The way that the gods admit to their flaws and even have flaws is very different to what I am used to thinking about God as.  Being brought up Christian it seems that God was always thought of as perfection, plain and simple.  A person with no flaws, no wrong-doings, nothing bad at all.  And, simply put, that is not what the God's in the Popol Vuh are like.  And, simply put, that is why I enjoyed this story as much as I did.

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it interesting that two books written so far apart in space and time could recommend the same behaviors? Be humble, remember your god(s). You make a good point about how learning from entertaining stories is more effective than memorizing a set of rules.

    ReplyDelete